the first of my 2020 holiday recipes… these peppermint pretzel brownies are insane. chocolate and peppermint is my favorite holiday flavor. I mean it is just so good. sweet and salty is one of my favorite traditional combos so I combined the two and these beauties were the result. my entire family loved these and devoured them as soon as they came out of the oven. they were definitely a family favorite.
not to mention they were super easy to make and made with simple ingredients and no refined sugar. this recipe is made with unbleached flour, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, dark chocolate chips, butter, eggs, and just a few other simple ingredients. these really are the perfect festive holiday brownies.
ingredients in peppermint pretzel brownies
this recipe is made with super simple ingredients and no refined sugar. substitutions to fit your needs are below.
- unbleached all purpose flour
- coconut sugar
- cocoa powder
- dark chocolate chips
- vanilla extract
- peppermint extract
- chopped pretzels
- crushed candy canes
how to make peppermint pretzel brownies
preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
in a large bowl, mix together the flour, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, and salt.
mix in the eggs, melted butter, melted dark chocolate chips, milk, vanilla, and peppermint extract.
then, mix in the chopped pretzels and crushed candy canes.
pour into a greased 9×9 glass pan and bake for 21-25 minutes.
keep in mind that substituting ingredients may affect the flavor, texture, and bake time. with that said, here are my suggestions:
- all purpose flour- replace with 1:1 gluten free flour
- coconut sugar- replace with half granulated half brown sugar
- eggs- replace with flax or chia eggs
- butter- replace with coconut oil, ghee, or vegan butter
- milk- replace with any milk or nut milk
try these healthy recipes next!
peppermint pretzel brownies
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (melted)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup chopped pretzels
- 1/3 cup crushed candy canes
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- mix together the flour, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, and salt
- mix in the eggs, melted butter, melted chocolate chips, milk, vanilla, and peppermint extract
- then, mix in the chopped pretzels and crushed candy canes
- transfer to a greased 9×9 glass pan and bake for 21-25 minutes
- let cool, cut into 9 brownies, serve warm, and enjoy!