gingerbread cookies are a Christmas tradition in my house. every year my mom and I make gingerbread cookies and decorate them. it is one of my favorite things ever. the rest of my family eats the cookies while my mom and I do all of the work. these healthier gingerbread cookies with cream cheese icing are amazing. not only are they super fun to make, they are also delicious and made with no refined sugar! it’s a win win!
decorating gingerbread cookies is the perfect Christmas Eve activity for you and your family. I am currently in the Keys but I froze some of the cookies for my family and I to decorate when I get home on Christmas Eve. it is seriously so much fun and you guys should definitely make and decorate these cookies.
ingredients in healthier gingerbread cookies with cream cheese icing
this recipe is made with super simple ingredients and no refined sugar. substitutions to fit your needs are below.
- unbleached all purpose flour
- coconut sugar
- ground ginger
- ground cloves
- baking soda
- vanilla extract
- cream cheese
- powdered sugar
how to make healthier gingerbread cookies with cream cheese icing
whisk the flour, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, ground cloves, allspice, baking soda.
beat the butter and coconut sugar until light and fluffy. beat in the egg, molasses, and vanilla.
combine the wet and dry ingredients and wrap the dough in plastic wrap. refrigerate for 3 hours.
preheat the oven to 350 degrees and roll the dough out onto a floured surface. cutout the cookies and place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
bake for 8-12 minutes. make the icing by beating the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
let the cookies cool and then ice and decorate them. enjoy!
try these Christmas recipes next!
keep in mind that substituting ingredients may affect the flavor and texture. with that said, here are my suggestions:
- all purpose flour- replace with 1:1 gluten free flour
- coconut sugar- replace with brown sugar
- butter- replace with ghee or vegan butter
- egg- replace with a flax or chia egg
- cream cheese- replace with nondairy cream cheese
healthier gingerbread cookies with cream cheese icing
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
cream cheese icing
- 1/4 cup softened cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- whisk the flour, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and baking soda.
- in a separate bowl, beat the butter and coconut sugar until light and fluffy. beat in the molasses, vanilla, and egg yolk.
- combine the wet and dry ingredients and wrap in plastic wrap. refrigerate for about 3 hours.
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- roll the dough out onto a floured surface and cut out the cookies. place the cookies on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- make the cream cheese icing by beating the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
- once the cookies cool, ice and decorate them. enjoy!